Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Child's Smile

When I was pregnant with Nikolas a friend made two blankets for him. When I opened the package, it made me smile to know that someone was thinking of the two of us and took the time not only to send them, but to make them herself. Little did I know at that time how much a big part of our life one of these blankets was to be.

There was one blanket, a white one with little blue bear figures on it and somehow that became the special "Blankie". That's his name, Blankie. :)

I don't know why he chose that particular blanket, the other one was just as beautiful and nice and bright (and we still have that one too) but there was obviously something special about Blankie.

Blankie has been many places with us. He can't sleep without Blankie and this is the only one of my children who has had such an attachment or an attachment that has lasted this long. Blankie has been to Disneyworld, Blankie has been to Hilton Head Island. Blankie has been in MD, NY, NJ, DE, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL and of course PA. If one of our trips involves sleeping over somewhere, Blankie is along for the ride.

Blankie is his comfort when he is sick. He HAS to have Blankie. Well last night when Nikolas was sick he threw up on Blankie. I cleaned him all up in the tub and put Blankie in the washer. I have a front load and the load averages 60 minutes and I put it on for the Super Wash to make sure it was nice and clean...then the dryer. He asked for Blankie numerous times and I could only tell him that Blankie was getting a bath, just like he had. He had finally fallen asleep, not so happy that he didn't have Blankie.

Early this morning I went to the dryer and got Blankie out. I walked into Nikolas' room and you can't believe the smile that was on his face! He hardly has said anything since he's been running the temp, but he managed to get out "MY BLANKIE!" Then he had the biggest smile on his face as he nestled it in close to his face and under his chin.

I just checked in on Nikolas about 5 minutes ago. He's peacefully sleeping in his bed, Blankie right there with him. Two friends reuinted again.

1 comment: